Just a few tips on how to keep your home’s exterior “winterize” for the upcoming winter months:
Things to do before the cold weather starts Outside the Home:
– Check the gutter systems outside your home. Be mindful for any broken or leaking gutters, and repair them as soon possible. Clear out any leaves and other debris that tend to collect over the summer and fall seasons. Doing this will reduce the risks of leaks and blockages during freezing weather.
– Insulate any water pipes in exposed places.
– Make sure the roof is in good condition. Check for loose or missing tiles and for any cracks in the chimney. If you’ve been putting off the task replacing the shingles over the last few years, well now’s a good time to get them replaced. Hire a professional roofing contractor to patch up any gaps and replace shingles.
– Central Air conditioning systems : Take a hose with the spray head set to “jet” or the highest pressure you have and clean the fan blades and condensing coils of clear of debris and dirt. Left unprotected the condensing unit can be damaged by wet leaves and debris that contribute to rusting and freezing of internal components. Although these units are designed for outdoor use, covering them with a breathable waterproof cover made for that purpose will extending the life and efficient performance of the unit.
– Exterior Faucets
Commonly Known as hose bibs or sill-cocks, the exterior faucet needs to have its water supply turned off inside the house, and you also need to drain water from it by opening up the exterior faucet. You may also want to consider an insulated cover for the hose bib. Your garden hoses should be disconnected from the sill cocks or outside faucets and drained if stored outside.
– Any outdoor furniture and garden accessories, lighting, should be stored in a dry place such a shed or a garage. If you lack storage space and have the room, you may even use space in your basement to protect your items from the winter elements.
For more information or to post a comment : please visit our links below:
Website – http://www.donofalltrades.ca/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/donofalltrades.info
Twitter – https://twitter.com/donofalltrade
LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/in/donofalltrades