image provided by:http://www.kulfoto.com
I just recently made a visit to our local vet to purchase some food for our fury members of the family. As I was waiting to finish my transaction, I noticed a fairly large-sized transparent plastic container on the front counter for all to see. You couldn’t miss this container. I took a closer look and to my surprise, I noticed all kinds of items inside from elastic bands, paperclips, coins, balloons, plastic twist ties and the list goes on and on. After reading the note attached to the container informing pet owners that these were just a few items that were previously surgically removed from Pets who had ingested them. I have to admit I was a little surprised. Just like our own children as infants, we take extra precautions to make sure we Child Proof our home, we have to remember to practice the same safety prevention methods to keep our pets safe as well. Here’s a link to help give you a few tips on keeping your entire family, furry four-legged one’s included, have a safe and happy Holiday season by: Pet MD.
Christmas Tree Tips:
1. Place your Christmas tree in a corner, blocked off from your pet’s wanting eyes. If this doesn’t keep your dog or cat from attempting to jump onto the tree, you can place aluminum foil, a plastic drink bottle filled with nick knacks, or anything else that creates noise on the tree’s bottom limbs to warn you of an impending tree disaster.
2. Tinsel can add a nice sparkling touch to the tree, but make sure you hang it up out of your pet’s reach. Ingesting the tinsel can potentially block their intestines, which is generally only remedied through surgical means.
3. Do not put lights on the tree’s lower branches. Not only can your pet get tangled up in the lights, they are a burning hazard. Additionally, your dog or cat may inadvertently get shocked by biting through the wire.
4. Ornaments need to be kept out of reach, too. In addition to being a choking and intestinal blockage hazard, shards from broken ornaments may injure paws, mouths, or other parts of your pet’s body.
5. For those buying a live Christmas trees this year, keep the area free and clear of pine needles. While they may not seem dangerous, the needles can puncture your pet’s intestines if ingested.
Other Great Holiday Item Tips:
1. Did you know holly, mistletoe, and poinsettia plants are poisonous to dogs or cats? If you normally use these plants to decorate your home, they should be kept in an area your pet cannot reach.
2. Edible tree decorations — whether they be ornaments, or cranberry or popcorn strings — are like time bombs waiting to happen. These goodies are just too enticing and your pet will surely tug at them, knocking down your wonderfully decorated spruce.
3. Burning candles should be placed on high shelves or mantels, out of your pet’s way — there’s no telling where a wagging tail may end up. Homes with fireplaces should use screens to avoid accidental burns.
4. To prevent any accidental electrocutions, any exposed indoor or outdoor wires should be taped to the wall or the sides of the house.
5. When gift wrapping, be sure to keep your pet away. Wrapping paper, string, plastic, or cloth could cause intestinal blockages. Scissors are another hazard, and they should be kept off floors or low tables.
We at petMD don’t want to ruin all your holiday decorating fun. By all means, go crazy sprucing up your home and wrapping presents. But make sure you do in a way that is safe for your pet(s) this holiday season.
For more information or to post a comment : please visit our links below:
Website – http://www.donofalltrades.ca/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/donofalltrades.info
Twitter – https://twitter.com/donofalltrade
LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/in/donofalltrades